First reported 1818 S.J. van Royen in Antiquitates Begicae, of Nederlandsche Oudheiden
D52 was somewhat dubiously restored by archaeologist A.E. van Giffen in 1953. When it was first reported 100 years earlier, it was fairly intact, and one of the capstones had a large carved human hand. By 1918, it was in a completely ruined state and could be reconstructed only with difficulty.